05 December 2018

I'm offended that you're offended...sort of...


First of all, let’s be honest, I’ve had many laughs at others’ expense.  I’m a laugh first, ask if you’re okay later kind of girl, and people watching is definitely one of my favorite pastimes.  That being said, this rant is more about the double standard everyone seems to ignore these days rather than just admitting that we’re all horrible people in need of forgiveness.

Exhibit A - Bullying
Again, I’m not condoning bullying, however, how can we get on our soapboxes preaching about how bullying and making fun of each other is wrong, but then turn around and make fun of all the convicts’ mugshots on social media?  Isn’t that bullying?  I think some of the comments are hilarious, but then we’ve already established I’m a terrible person who needs grace.  But I mean, how does it change just because the person may be a stranger to you?

Exhibit B - Ruining everything about my childhood
This one really bothers me.  If you don’t like how previous generations grew up and were raised, fine, but can you just leave it at that?  Quit watching my favorite old movies and turning them into your new cause of political correctness.  Sure some of the storylines are suspect, but if you really look deep into movies today, nothing is new – it’s all just a new spin on an old movie (one that you probably condemned on your Facebook page at some point.)  Besides, I watched all those movies and I think I turned out pretty okay.

Exhibit C.1 - Stop sabotaging Christmas and all its joy and wonder
Rudolph condones bullying, Baby It’s Cold Outside promotes rape culture, blah blah blah.  I don’t think Rudolph ever taught kids bullying was okay (at least that’s not what I remember – all I remember is that Hermie wanted to be a dentist.)  I don’t think I ever watched that movie and decided to go and make fun of someone.  It taught you that we’re all different in some way and our differences are uniquely special.  And Baby It’s Cold Outside – stop acting like women don’t have a choice.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – choices have consequences, good or bad, and we all need to start owning them.  The song is about a guy who wants her to stay, practically begs, and she finally gives in.  She made a choice.  She chooses to give in and stay.  That’s it.  Nowhere in that song does it say he locked her in the house, took her keys and wouldn’t give them back, and held her down and did things to her that she didn’t want. 

Exhibit C.2 - The great CHRISTmas debate
If we’re so worried about keeping Christ in Christmas, then why don’t we act more like Christ rather than worry about buying unnecessary stuff to show others how much we love them and arguing about what holiday phrase others choose to use to wish you happiness at the end of December?  Getting upset about a label is just silly.  As believers in Christ we are called to spread the good news and make disciples, to seek out the least and the lost and show them God’s love.  We aren’t asked to take up our swords against everyone who likes to say Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas.  In the end, and I mean the very end, the bible says (in those red Jesus words): “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’  Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’  The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” (Matt 25:34-40) 
So maybe, just maybe, we should all just take a step back, take a deep breath, and just love each other this holiday season.  Right where we’re at, differing opinions and all. 

***After Thought***  When I started typing this, it was a rant.  All my opinions about other people’s opinions on things currently being talked about on social media.  Then I got to the end, and realized I was on my own soapbox and doing exactly the same thing I was complaining about others doing.  So I guess what it all boils down to is we all have our own opinions, and we’re allowed to have them, but maybe instead of trying to force everyone to agree that our own opinion is correct and the only one that matters, we can celebrate our diversity and learn from each other’s opinions.  These are just my observations.  We can disagree and still be friends...just don’t ask me to change the station when Baby It’s Cold Outside comes on – I’m turning that shit up and singing along, and you’re singing with me


No comments: